Why Enrolling in Vocational Courses Is a Great Career Choice
Want to get a high-paying job immediately? Try enrolling in a vocational training school.
Blue-Collar Labour Shortage
Australia is currently facing a labour problem. Whilst there are many job openings in the economy, only a few would apply for them. The reason? The country is facing a shortage of skilled workers.
As technology develops at breakneck speeds, more and more young Australians are enrolling in IT, business and other white-collar jobs. Many are shunning from taking construction, electrical, and other vocational courses. It seems that the young people are getting afraid of getting their hands dirty.
Effect on the Economy
The blue-collar labour shortage is starting to be an economic problem in Australia. A report by the Department of Jobs and Small Business stated that the country has a shortage of technicians and trades workers. This is especially evident in the construction industry. Many employers said they have difficulty recruiting bricklayers, carpenters, stonemasons and other skilled professionals.
The lack of skilled labourers also taking its toll on the economy. In 2015, blue-collar worker shortage affected the economic growth of western Sydney. As more people moved to service industries, the construction boom in the area snarled.
Golden Opportunity for Skilled Workers
One of the primary reasons many young people avoid having blue-collar careers is the image associated with it. Technicians and tradesmen are often considered dirty and inferior. For many people, getting a certificate from vocational courses are not as most attractive and sexy as getting a university or college degree. If only these students know the income opportunity in entering skilled professions, they might think twice about enrolling in universities.
So, if you still have this mindset, it’s high time to change it. Here are some reasons why you should consider embarking on a technical career.
- Tuition Fee is Cheaper – In terms of practicality and cost-efficiency, enrolling in a trade school can give your great financial rewards at a minimal cost. A four-year university business degree costs roughly about $20,000 per year or $80,000 for the entire program. This rate is huge compared to the $4,000-$22,000 tuition fee for the entire program in vocational schools. What’s more, you only need to take the courses in 6 months or more, depending on the job.
- Flexible schedules – If you hate 9-to-5, Monday to Friday office job, then blue collar jobs are perfect for you. Even though electricians and construction workers may also be assigned in shifts, they are more flexible than in offices. What’s more, you can easily get a side hustle. Many technicians and tradesmen also establish their own business.
- There’s a High Demand – Because if the shortage of skilled labourers, you can easily get hired. All you need is to get a certification by completing a white card course and get licensed. From there, you can choose the employer you want.
- Competitive salaries – Some blue-collar workers, especially in the mining industry, have higher salaries compared to some office workers. In a report by the Australian Bureau of Statistics stated that 50% of the 10 highest paying industries in the country are blue-collar sectors. Mining topped the list, followed by utilities and construction sectors.
- Many blue-collar industries are future-proof – What’s more, experts believe many of the blue-collar sectors will not be affected by the threat of retrenchment due to AI and automation. In fact, because of the high employment demand and low supply of labourers in these industries, the wages of workers in these industries are expected to rise further.
Working as a blue-collar labourer may be challenging. But having a certificate and license in any vocational career can be your ticket to a better future.
It Boosts Self-Confidence
Being a certified service provider and worker helps you maintain your composure during your work and any incidents in between. With the right training, you can work knowing that you are equipped with the right knowledge and skills to do the job correctly. Aside from this, being aware that you took steps not only to improve your employability but also for self-development makes a huge difference when it comes to boosting your self-esteem.
It Helps You Make Friends
Making friends as an adult is not as easy as it was when you were younger. Often, adults meet new people in their workplaces. By enrolling in a training course, you will be introduced to people who are interested in the same career path or industry as yours. Who knows, you might even meet a potential lifetime friend during your training.